Bookish Blerd

The Grimoire of the Lamb

The Grimoire of the Lamb - Luke Daniels, Kevin Hearne So in an attempt to break my reading funk I stumbled across this series on Audible as one of it's popular gifting audioboks. The description sounded really interesting and different and I figured it couldn't hurt to give it a try.

First of all this is not like your typical fantasy/magic series. It follows Atticus who is a 2000+-year-old druid who lives in modern day Arizona. He runs a rare books shop and basically tries to fly under the radar, having made quite a few enemies of old gods and the supernatural variety over his extensive years. Apparently he's quite the thief and had pilfered many books and artifacts from the Library of Alexandria before it burned.

Atticus is hilarious, as is his Irish Wolf Hound Oberon who is magically linked to Atticus' consciousness and has picked up the human language over the years. He is full of sarcasm, snark and pop-culture references. The writing is so well done, specifically for a series that is told completely in first person. That is usually off-putting unless it is very well written. And not only is the writing spot-on, the narration by Luke Daniels--who narrates pretty much the entire series--is phenomenal. He captures all of the little nuances of Atticus' personality, as well as Oberon and other characters. In fact Oberon is my favorite character already just because of Daniels' portrayal.

This story takes Atticus and Oberon to Egypt, a place he has been banished from by the cat god Bast. He's there to find a wizard that had stolen a very-bad-in-the-wrong-hands spell book from Atticus. A book which Atticus found in the restricted section of the Library of Alexandria that was disguised as a cook book with nothing but lamb recipes. After finding a way to placate Bast to keep her and her cat minions--seriously she controls all of the cats in Cairo--from killing him and his faithful companion, he has to track down book thief, get back the grimoire and practice a little Druidic justice on him, i.e., kill him.

I don't want to give too much away. This is a short novella so it all gets resolved rather quickly, but there are a few twists and turns that were unexpected. The story did not feel rushed or unfinished, which can sometimes happen with novellas. I am really looking forward to delving into the series; because it seems fun and interesting, and I think it could keep me happily occupied for a good while.

Boys Will Be Boys
Clementine Ford
Progress: 23/384pages
The Silmarillion
J.R.R. Tolkien, Martin Shaw
Progress: 687/889minutes
Werewolves and Shape Shifters: Encounters with the Beasts Within
Francesca Lia Block, George R.R. Martin, H.P. Lovecraft, Neil Gaiman, Tessa Gratton, Bentley Little, Zak Jarvis, Violet Glaze, Peter Giglio, Mercedes M. Yardley, Dieter Meyer, Scott Bradley, Brad C. Hodson, Nicole Cushing, Alice Henderson, Alethea Kontis, Steve Duffy, Max
Progress: 31/640pages