Bookish Blerd

Review: In The Middle of Somewhere

In the Middle of Somewhere: Middle of Somewhere, Book 1 - Dreamspinner Press LLC, Roan Parrish, Robert Nieman

I wanted to like this more than I actually did.  The author may live in Philly, but they are clearly a transplant, or just the most out of tune Philadelphian ever.  But that's not really all that important to the plot/story.  It was just little things that bugged me because it's my home town and I wanted this book to be great.  It's written in.....wait for it.... First. Person.  Sigh.

The protagonists were good.  Daniel was a little jaded and paranoid, but once the story delves into his home life and experience with romance, it kind of makes perfect sense.  And Rex was a big teddy bear; definitely fits the cliche too good to be true.  There were some fun characters and some really annoying characters and I wanted to murder all of Daniel's family--they were the absolute worst.

Daniel, a gay man from Philly, takes a position as a professor at a college in Michigan.  He met Rex after his interview after hitting a dog with his car and trying to walk the injured animal to help while he was injured himself.  The run into Rex who immediately helps them.  After caring for the dog and making her as comfortable as possible until she could be taken to a vet in the morning, Rex tries to care for Daniel who doesn't realize that he's pretty banged up from the accident.  They have an instant connection and kiss, but nothing much happens beyond that.  The duo don't see one another again until Daniel has accepted the position and has been working in Michigan for a while.  Rex had kept the dog, and that kind of endeared him even more to Daniel.  There is some miscommunication, lack of communication, and general stupidity that's kind of aggravating, but not so much that I wanted to rage quit the book.  There was a lot of fluff and romance and sweetness.  And angst.

This was just okay.  I liked it, but did not love it.  I don't know that I will check out the rest of the series, as I read that the next book focuses on one of Daniel's jerk brothers.  Don't really want to see a redemption arc for any of them, especially Collin.

Boys Will Be Boys
Clementine Ford
Progress: 23/384pages
The Silmarillion
J.R.R. Tolkien, Martin Shaw
Progress: 687/889minutes
Werewolves and Shape Shifters: Encounters with the Beasts Within
Francesca Lia Block, George R.R. Martin, H.P. Lovecraft, Neil Gaiman, Tessa Gratton, Bentley Little, Zak Jarvis, Violet Glaze, Peter Giglio, Mercedes M. Yardley, Dieter Meyer, Scott Bradley, Brad C. Hodson, Nicole Cushing, Alice Henderson, Alethea Kontis, Steve Duffy, Max
Progress: 31/640pages