Bookish Blerd

Review: Illiminae (Illuminae Files, Book 1)

Illuminae - Amie Kaufman

This was a truly fascinating read. I really enjoyed the format. From one page to the next you didn't know what you were going to get, which was kind of exciting.  The story was fantastic.

One consortium illegally colonized a planet for mining, and when the other consortium found out they launched a deadly attack with biochemical warfare and regular everyday missiles.  Survivors are rescued, but they rescue ships are overrun with refugees and somewhat crippled.  Luckily their dreadnought attacker has been crippled as well.  Then it's a race to see who can get across the many, many lightyears to safety on a space station and get the word out about the attack (or silence the survivors.)

In the meantime the biowarfare waged is causing major troubles on one of the refugee ships, and the battleship's AI is damaged enough to make it cuckoo for coco puffs!  There is so much going on in the story, and surprisingly, none of it was lost in the varying formats or the multiple characters.   Very much looking forward to the next book in the series!

Boys Will Be Boys
Clementine Ford
Progress: 23/384pages
The Silmarillion
J.R.R. Tolkien, Martin Shaw
Progress: 687/889minutes
Werewolves and Shape Shifters: Encounters with the Beasts Within
Francesca Lia Block, George R.R. Martin, H.P. Lovecraft, Neil Gaiman, Tessa Gratton, Bentley Little, Zak Jarvis, Violet Glaze, Peter Giglio, Mercedes M. Yardley, Dieter Meyer, Scott Bradley, Brad C. Hodson, Nicole Cushing, Alice Henderson, Alethea Kontis, Steve Duffy, Max
Progress: 31/640pages