Bookish Blerd

Review: Neverwhere

Neverwhere - Neil Gaiman

So I think I have a love/hate relationship with Gaiman books.  Everything about them says I should love them, but 50% of the time I...well I don't hate them, but I also don't love them.  This was another that I didn't love.  It's fantasy, adventure, intrigue, and good narration (I listened and read along with my nook because I won't take my paper books on the bus.)

It follows Richard, a Londoner who lives a fairly normal boring life with a very unlikeable girlfriend who seems to only want to control his every move.  He gets mixed up with Door, who is from the London Under, which is the world beneath the regular world, the place where the people who fall through the cracks end up.  After his first encounter with Door, rescuing her and helping her to get back to her world, Richard inadvertently becomes part of London Under.  It's as if he doesn't exist in his world.  So Richard adventures to London Under hoping to find Door and her guide the Marquis De Carabas.  They are on a mission to learn who killed Door's family and trying to kill Door. Richard is hopeful that once their mission is complete there will be a way for him to fully return to his world.

The story just didn't hold my attention.  I couldn't get into it and was easily distracted from the story.  The best and most interesting part was the short story of the Marquis and his quest to find his missing coat.  It was just meh for me.  Maybe a re-read at a later date will be in order

Boys Will Be Boys
Clementine Ford
Progress: 23/384pages
The Silmarillion
J.R.R. Tolkien, Martin Shaw
Progress: 687/889minutes
Werewolves and Shape Shifters: Encounters with the Beasts Within
Francesca Lia Block, George R.R. Martin, H.P. Lovecraft, Neil Gaiman, Tessa Gratton, Bentley Little, Zak Jarvis, Violet Glaze, Peter Giglio, Mercedes M. Yardley, Dieter Meyer, Scott Bradley, Brad C. Hodson, Nicole Cushing, Alice Henderson, Alethea Kontis, Steve Duffy, Max
Progress: 31/640pages